Try this tasty nut-free energy ball recipe to fuel or recover from your next workout. Loaded with chocolatey flavour without all the fat that usually comes with a chocolate treat. Easy peasy to make and delicious at room temperature or even out of the freezer for a snack on a hot day.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: none
Total Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 1 dozen energy balls
¾ cup rolled oats
1 ½ cups dates, softened for 10 minutes in warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons maple syrup
4 tablespoons cacao powder
1 tablespoon cocoa nibs
Shredded coconut (optional)
- Combine the dates, vanilla extract, and maple syrup in a food processor.
- Pulse until fully mixed and dates are fully chopped.
- Add oats and cocoa powder and cocoa nibs. Pulse together stopping intermittently to the sides as needed. Mix until just combined.
- Roll batter into 1” balls with your hands. If desired, roll balls in shredded coconut for garnish.
- Store balls in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. Happy snacking!
Nutrient Profile/ 3 Energy balls
- 255 calories
- 50 g carbohydrate
- 4 g protein
- 6 g fat
- 5 g fibre
- 31 mg sodium
- 380 mg potassium
Nutritional planning is integral to achieve your optimal athletic performance. Gazelle Nutrition Lab delivers one on one or group nutritional counselling and consulting to both recreational and high-performance athletes. In addition, the Food For Thought Blog is a free resource for healthy recipes and health tips. Have questions? We’d love to hear from you! Get in touch!