Crunchy Orange Zest Granola Bar
Granola bars are a great snack choice. They are portable and easy. Homemade bars are particularly tasty as you can customize them, and avoid the additives of store bought bars. Check out this delicious granola bar recipe for athletes and active people on the run. It is a sweet crunchy treat with a hint of orange zest. Yum! The perfect addition to your post-workout snack repertoire.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 10 bars
½ cup chopped unsalted almonds
¼ cup chopped unsalted walnuts
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup chopped dried apricots
½ cup puffed rice cereal
¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
⅛ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons skim milk powder
1 tablespoon hemp seeds
1 tablespoon cocoa nibs
2 tablespoons coconut
2 tablespoons honey
¼ cup brown rice syrup
½ -1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 oF; line 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix all dry ingredients and the orange zest together in a bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the brown rice syrup and honey. Heat for 15 seconds in the microwave to make just runny.
Fold syrup mixture into dry ingredients and mix to cover well.
- Transfer mixture into baking pan and pat and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow bars to cool completely in the pan then remove bars with the parchment paper and transfer to a cutting board. Slice into 10 even bars.
- Serve as is, or wrap each individually in parchment paper or plastic wrap for easy handling. Bars will keep for 5 days in an airtight container or in the fridge for 2 weeks.
Nutrient Profile of Granola Bar
(per granola bar)
30 g carbohydrate
3 g protein
8 g fat
68 mg sodium