When the temperature drops, I just love a hearty stew to stoke your inner fire and rejuvenate you after a hard day. This chicken stew is one of my favourites and so simple to make. Pair it with a crusty loaf of bread and enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium stalks of celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons canola oil
¼ cup parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
½ cup (150 g) pot barley
¼ cup white wine vinegar or white wine
3 ½ cups chicken broth
1000 g skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped potatoes
1 cup cremini mushrooms, quartered
1 ½ cups carrots, sliced
1 cup stringless sugar snap peas, chopped
1 cup frozen corn
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and celery and sauté until onions are translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add pot barley, sauté for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add white wine vinegar, parsley and thyme, sauté for an additional minute or so until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add broth, cubed chicken, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, bay leaf and salt and pepper. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add snap peas and corn. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until just tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Mix cornstarch with ¼ cup water, add to stew while stirring. Stir to thicken.
- Serve immediately topped with fresh parsley and black pepper.
Nutritional planning is integral to achieve your optimal athletic performance. Gazelle Nutrition Lab delivers one on one or group nutritional counselling and consulting to both recreational and high-performance athletes. In addition, the Food for thought Recipes is a free resource for healthy recipes and health tips. Have questions? We’d love to hear from you! Get in touch!